The prompt for today on NaBloPoMo is:
It’s Women’s History Month. There has been so many important women who have shaped the world. Who do you immediately think of when you think about women (past or present) who bring about change?
There are many women who have brought about good change, but the one who I would like to write about in this post is the late Professor Wangari Maathai.
– She was an environmental and political activist. I remember when she would literally stand on land that was going to be ‘grabbed’ because someone wanted to build a skyscrapper on it. She literally saved Uhuru Park.
– She founded the Green Belt Movement(GBM) which focused on planting trees. To-date the GBM has assisted women in planting more than 40 million trees on community farms.
– She was the first African woman to receive a Nobel Peace prize for her contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace in 2004.
– She was the first woman in East and Central Africa to earn a doctorate.
– She passed away in September 2011.
Which woman do you think of?